

Young European Federalists

Executive Board Meeting

DRAFT AGENDA

TIME 8.4.2026 at 7.30pm CET

PLACE Online: meet.google.com/ewi-hdsy-raa

INVITEES Executive Board Members

Moritz Hergl, President
Debora Striani, Vice President
Nea-Maria Törmänen, Vice President
Anna van de Moosdijk, Treasurer
Achilles Tsirgis, Board Member
Dvir Ezra, Board Member
Konstantine Gagnidze, Board Member
Sara Rocchetto, Board Member
Christos Papagiannis, Secretary General

Observers

Valentin Petri, Federal Committee Presidium

Excused

MEETING PROCEDURAL MATTERS

1. Opening of the meeting and confirmation of quorum

Proposal: The President opens the meeting and confirms that it is quorate.

2. Approval of the agenda

Proposal: The agenda is approved.

3. Minutes of the previous meeting – APPENDIX 1

Proposal: The minutes of the previous meeting are approved.

Decision: Approved

DECISION ITEMS

4. Guidelines on Event Decisions – APPENDIX 2

Presenter: Dvir & Moritz

Proposal: Approve the guidelines on event decision-making as drafted by Dvir and Moritz, incorporating the amendments agreed at the previous EB meeting, and decide on their entry into force.

- XX has adapted the proposal according the feedback that was gathered from the rest EB
- XX: Agree with the change, but there is no mention in the case of conflict of interest in the current edition. So, Dvir would like to suggest that there is such a provision.
- XX: The financial aspects of the document are compatible with the financial guidelines. Only removed the part of participant selection, because there are too many interpersonal relationships with potential participants because most of them are usually JEF members. But there is a provision for gathering feedback from the EB during the selection of participants –this way objectivity is safeguarded as much as possible.
- XX: This is a guideline for organizing an event, but there is already a guideline for projects. So it's important to clarify that this doesn't overstep this procedure.
- XX: Yes the projects' guideline continues to be in effect without being substituted by this one.
- XX: The goal of this guideline is also to safeguard that we avoid any arbitrary behaviors.
- XX: We should also mention that selecting from the pool of trainers remains a priority –this also safeguards the integrity of the selection process.
- XX: We need to be careful regarding framing and highlight that this is a priority (not a "preference").
- XX: In a case of evaluating an application where conflict of interest emerged the adopted roadmap included delegating the decision solely to the not-involved person. We need to consider that in many cases following the exact steps described in the guideline might be difficult. So, it's important to add a directive that provides the space for someone to delegate the decision for approval/disapproval at the screening stage in order to avoid complexity.
- XX: It makes more sense to focus on commenting and providing approval rather than leaving the process totally open. This could result in some cases having a process that becomes too complex.
- XX: The goal is not to make a huge process.

- XX: I second XX's vision, because of its practicality. In many cases people are pushing for timely decisions. The process followed in previous cases shows that there is a way to make it both practical and objective. Also all the folders should be accessible by everyone at any moment (that provides transparency at every step).
- XX: All the comments have been incorporated.
 - *" The list of participants will be decided upon by the EB member responsible together with a member of the Secretariat. The list of all applicants shall in the best case be shared, so that all EB members can give feedback or recommendations. The list of participants shall then be shared with all EB members once decided between the EB member and the secretariat. Then, EB members have 24h to object on individual selections or the list as a whole, if justified. If there is no time for such procedure, a written justification has to be shared with the EB. drafted by the responsible EB member and must be approved by a committee of three randomly selected EB members chosen for this specific event by the Secretary-General on the request of the responsible EB member".*
- XX: We should add *"The list of all applicants shall bona fide be shared"* to highlight that this practice is a result of good faith and not mandatory action-items that bring more complexity
- Everyone accepted the amendments and Dvir suggested to clear the document.

Decision: Approved

5. Youth Policy Dialogue on Democratic Resilience: Candidate Nomination

Presenter: Moritz

Background: DG ENEST is organising a Youth Policy Dialogue with Commissioner Kos on "Youth for Democratic Resilience", taking place in Moldova on 3–5 June 2026. The European Youth Forum has been asked to put forward candidates, of which 10 will be selected from France, Germany, Austria, the Netherlands, Italy, and Ireland. The internal deadline for nominations is 14 April.

Proposal: Decide that Moritz will be put forward by JEF Europe to the European Youth Forum for the Youth Policy Dialogue on Democratic Resilience.

- XX: There are also other countries that were included.
- XX & XX: Indeed (Netherlands)

- XX: Cannot participate due to busy schedule.

Decision: Approved

6. Vesna Statement – [APPENDIX 3](#)

Presenter: Moritz

Proposal: Resolve the comments on the statement draft, decide the posting schedule, and then approve the new version of the statement.

- XX: The idea was to publish something before the hearing, but then realized that there wasn't a unanimous stance towards the matter. So it makes sense to discuss all together if it makes sense to move on with such a statement. And if we agree to issue a statement, what's the timeline?
- XX: I'm not against –it's important that we as federalists acknowledge that we are not against the people of the country as a whole. Especially when some people risk their lives for the values we are fighting for. In cases like this it's important to have time in order to get a clear understanding and crosscheck the information we have. It's also important to consult our sections that are sensitive towards those kinds of cases. So a tight deadline to decide it's not helping to take the steps needed.
- XX: Regarding the information, Memorial is a well-respected organization –so we can do a background check but we don't have to go into very deep details. Regarding their positions on other matters (or lack of positions), no one deserves to go into prison because of activism and this value-oriented approach should be the compass.
- XX: We should not make it too complex, but keep it short, value-oriented and issue-focused. According to information from previous EB members (previous president, Christelle) they were also involved in JEF events etc.
- XX: Initially abstained and now leaning against. Because this could be a divisive issue and it might not benefit the organization.
- XX: I'm against, not because I'm in general against supporting Russian political-prisoners, but explicitly because of their ideology which is aggressive towards countries like Georgia. They have expressed ideas that seem to excuse the war against Ukraine. It's also a matter of personal honor and dignity.
- XX: I was against the tight timeframe and I believe that we should keep the statement focused on the issue. The question "what we gain from this" is quite simple: if we are against the Russian regime

and we support people who are also against the government (and we have cooperated with them before) then it's the least needed/expected from us to have a stance. It might be a very tough political conversation even if we issue a statement or not. So we are not going to avoid this discussion. If a past partner ends up in prison we should at least comment on that. If we want to continue being partners with them is another issue.

- XX: I voted in favor considering the fact that they stand against the war in Ukraine and they support drastic reform of the political structure of Russia. But XX's comments make it very important to search deeper for their personal ideas. We need to have a value-oriented approach for people who fight for the same ideas we do. We could avoid mentioning Vesna and focus on the people.
- XX: I didn't mean to check their CV, but as XX showed us there are details we are missing about their organization. Maybe we can avoid mentioning Vesna and make the statement oriented towards the individuals.
- XX: Tomorrow is a sensitive day (Georgia's independence day), so we at least need to avoid releasing a statement tomorrow.
- XX: I have been following personalities that began from problematic standpoints, but they evolved. So, someone's past shouldn't define their present. Those people are imprisoned because they stand against the war. Regarding the "added value discussion", the war at some point will end (I really hope with Ukraine's victory), but then we would need to build bridges. This won't happen if during the difficult times we were absent.
- XX: Thank you all for the respectful conversation and discussion. We won't post tomorrow during Georgia's independence day. We need to evaluate if it makes sense to mention Vesna and their names and if we put them in danger.
- XX: Why do they want to be mentioned?
- XX: Because according them publicity helps visibility (e.g. Amnesty taking action, etc.). We should inform the network in an informal way about what has happened to those people.
- XX: We cannot avoid people perceiving this as a formal EB position. So let's wait to formulate in a structured way our statement.
- XX: Feel more comfortable not voting now, but wait to have the statement and then vote all together. The final version should really be voted on.

- XX: I completely agree with XX. Let's try to reach out to the sections that are sensitive towards the topic as we did with other cases in the past before issuing a statement.
- XX: We shouldn't ask the sections their ideas on the statement, because it will be like provoking them.

Decision: Task Nea to re-work the statement and then vote on a new version later.

7. Statement on Elections in Hungary - [APPENDIX 4](#)

Presenter: Debora

Proposal: Approve the proposed statement.

- XX: Sent an hour ago the statement (after consulting JEF Hungary), so you might need more time to decide.
- XX: We can vote later today and if we have majority then we can post it tomorrow.

Decision: Postponed

8. Introducing the new logo to the FC meeting - [APPENDIX 5](#)

Presenter: Moritz

Proposal: Agree on introducing the new JEF logo to the FC meeting as a new point to the meeting agenda to be accepted.

- XX: JEF Spain lost the deadline to submit a resolution, so it should be introduced at the beginning of the FC agenda (there is no answer yet and Spain won't be present at the FC).

Decision: We will introduce the new logo to the FC agenda in the beginning.

9. Call for hosting the FC in spring 2027: extension of deadline

Presenter: Moritz

Background: No applications received so far.

Proposal: Extend the deadline from April 10 to April 15.

- XX: The deadline is 10th of April and we haven't received any applications. How are the conversations going with possible sections?
- XX: I discussed it with Visvaldis and he said they're going to apply. I can directly text him and ask. Also, Georgia wants to apply, but I received no update -I can reach out directly to Ani and ask her.
- XX: I was in touch with JEF Italy and they were interested (Rome). But they think that the guidelines are very tough. Explained the spirit of the guidelines. I will text them again to check their status.

- XX: We need to consider extending the deadline if we don't receive applications. But if we have applications on time it's not fair to extend the deadline.

Decision: Extend the deadline from April 10 to April 15 automatically if no candidacy has been received until then.

10. Procedure of micro-granting for sections - [APPENDIX 6](#)

Presenter: Konstantine

Background: During closing the micro grant schemes within NEXT GEN JEF, Ways of Europe and RAISE, have identified several problems in the procedures, process of management and running of the grants from sections side. The guidelines describe how we operate when it comes to sharing responsibilities, how we collaborate during reporting periods and what action we can take when a project isn't implemented (and expected results weren't met). We could share this guideline alongside the positive news for providing micro-granting. It's important to have the information ahead and make our lives easier and help us avoid lack of accountability. Alongside a person from the secretariat I will work -if you vote in favor- to create the templates for the sections etc..

Proposal: Establish guidelines for local and national sections, establish working group between EB and secretariat so finalise procedures and templates. Give Kote permission to lead the process.

- XX: Should we vote today or wait for the final guide.
- XX: I would appreciate your trust beforehand and vote together on me creating a task force to complete this.
- XX: I like the spirit of this, it helps improve the know-hows of the sections.
- XX: It's a very nice document and we should either vote on this text or the final text and not just on the synthesis of a working group. It's important to make clear the guideline is in effect after the date it's voted and finalized
- XX: I wanted to vote on that and not the draft because I consider it important to have your approval for using the time of a person from the secretariat.
- XX: Let's be mindful of the workload
- XX: We will finalize it around May

Decision: Postponed until the final draft is ready

11. Approve of participation in FedTalk Program - [APPENDIX 8](#)

Presenter: Dvir

Proposal: Agree on JEF Europe participation

- XX: We won't have the ability for a large-scale event, so the idea is to extend this resource.
- XX: knowing we have a wider crowd in the FC we might involve them. Don't change the program but open it to TFs to suggest additions. It will be nice to make it accessible to our membership base.
- XX: It's important to keep it simple and don't make it something with people that makes it difficult for some early comers to follow. It would be ideal if you can circulate it to your sections.
- XX: We can put this activity under the SGA's federalist academy deliverable.
- XX: I don't mind, we can do it that way.
- XX: We should discuss a way to make it a bit bigger in order for it to be included in the federalist academy umbrella, not because I'm against this initiative but because I think we need to avoid creating something that might replace the federalist academy.
- XX: I agree we can coordinate and decide the best way to handle and frame this initiative.

Decision: Approved

12. **Discuss and Approve Selection Process for [Youth Innovating Democracy CoE Event](#)**

Presenter: Dvir

Proposal: Refer to both FC and TNF for Application. Bringing

- XX: We were asked to provide participants?
- XX: No it's open to everyone, but I think it's a good opportunity to encourage people applying
- XX: We should take care not too many people apply from the same organization. Only if no one from EB wants to go should we make it feel like an open call.
- XX: I thought that due to the relatively high number of participants we could send more people.
- XX: There is also a possibility they reach out to us for confirmation regarding people representing us. We need to be more coordinated and receive more information.
- XX: Me and XX can both investigate this opportunity a bit more.

Decision: Dvir will share the opportunity with TNF and Debora will see if someone from EB is interested -and if no one is interested- she will check with the FC.

13. Caux Democracy Forum

Presenter: Konstantine

Background: Already for a 3rd year we are invited to the Caux Democracy Forum, one of the biggest independent democracy forums taking place in Switzerland. It's a high level event with distinguished personalities.

Proposal: To appoint Konstantine to represent JEF Europe (as he was invited by organisers) and make a decision on travel budget and limits from JEF Europe.

- XX: Despite the difficulty of the situation we need to have some budget available for some travels. But I think it's important to have an orientation towards the sections.
- XX: They invited me and asked to showcase DuP and also some labs on projects/funding. To be honest, I explained to them that I might not be the ideal person. So, It might not be a problem if I don't personally participate, but I consider essential that someone represents the EB.
- XX: Do they cover the travel costs?
- XX: They will cover the full package of accommodation, inner travel and food expenses. I'm not specifically aware about travel costs -but I will ask them.
- XX: I think Konstantine should go. But first of all he can ask regarding the travel -even if the answer is a no. I am in favor of funding the travel but we need to link it with a concrete deliverable from the OG. It's also an instance that allows us to spread the opportunities within the board.
- XX: It's connected to DuP. I'm in favor of Konstantine going there, because his personal skills match the criteria.
- XX: If there is money available from Jean Monnet then it's even better.

Decision: Konstantine asks again if they cover travel costs, but it will happen anyway

UPDATES

14. **Secretary update**

- Update on RAISE
 - Reporting will start next week
 - No information on the final amount that will be deducted

- SGA 2025
 - Last deliverables submitted (NextGEN JEF)
 - Financial reporting part to be submitted next week the latest
- Moniteur Belge
 - They asked for corrections and secretariat is on it
- SGA Erasmus+ grant agreement signed today
 - Cash will come probably early May
- Structural grant agreement with EYF signed this week
- Monday as software in Secretariat (and EB)
- Donation from EMinS not received yet

15. Organisational update

- Scheduling of the Operating grant ad-hoc call: division of responsibility
 - After the FC XX will send us an invitation.
- Update on the candidacy of Reinis (Deb)
 - Send an excel with organizations that have voting rights in the YFJ and the National Councils. Write your names in order to help him. We need to encourage him to publish more (missing some contacts). If we can help him with contacts please fill your names.
- EB activity report, deadline this Sunday!
 - Questioned, so agree that there is mutual support. Organizational questions: why FC announced so late, etc.. It's important to show a face of unity.
 - XX: It's important that we communicate the inherited situation. But if questions come, it's important to communicate the truth.
 - XX will prepare a possible questions folder.
 - XX: Agrees on transparency and backing each other. Please direct any difficult questions.
 - XX: Just put everything in XX's presentation. Fill the advocacy and representation form.
 - XX: Is it ok XX if the EB covers your points on your behalf?
 - XX: Agreed
 - XX: I can pre-record something briefly and we can play it.
- General discussion on EB responsibilities in the FC meeting
 - XX: We have some proposals for internal resolutions (in the general mindset we vote in favor, with a few exceptions). If a surprising situation arises Mortiz will give directives on how we

move on. These are some points I have in mind by similar circumstances, so I would like to know if we are on the same page.

- Linear: It will be finished early next week (before the meeting with JEF Serbia).
- XX will check internally what's going on with the buddy programme.
- XX: The membership officer put in touch potential buddies. In the previous FC suddenly TF became accountable for this -we need to avoid such a situation.
- XX: The office of CDN is in Belgrade and when they invited Konstantine to their GA in Riga they expressed their interest to meet JEF and come to the FC.
- XX: We can invite them to the opening ceremony.
- 9th of May: planning (request from Pulse of Europe)
 - Communications, ask sections to participate
 - XX: They are trying to get funding to organize more talks and workshops and they will follow up. They will organize something but it won't be as big as hoped.
 - XX: YFJ will organize an action for Europe Day
- Update on Ventotene International Seminar
 - XX: common request with JEF Italy for side events (Peace forum, Feminist Federalism and DuP).
 - The challenge is that there is high interest in participation. So we need to ask Spinelli Institute to have a bigger conference room. XX will lead the project since it's her portfolio
 - XX: He also wants to have a screening of participants, in order to safeguard that there is a minimum knowledge on federalism.
 - XX: Schedule an ad hoc meeting.

16. Section update

- Membership fee and membership statements overview
 - XX: We have approximately 50% from the projected 16.000 EUR. Some sections will pay at the FC.

17. Project update

- See [the minutes of project meeting](#)

18. Treasurer update

- *Already most of the issues addressed during the membership fees*
- *Promised to follow up on the donation campaign*
- *Request to receive possible difficult questions at the FC*

19. Advocacy update

19.1. Democracy under Pressure

- Working group with European political families youth wings
- XX: In the parliament event openly asked for participation in the manifesto. I want to send an invitation to JEFers who want to help.
- Moritz: Create a draft and the EB puts comments

19.2. Don't Touch My Schengen

- No significant updates

19.3. MFF advocacy

- *The are debates going on (Agora EU)*
- *XX: Had a relevant meeting for which XX will be updated*

19.4. Federalist Peace Forum

Training program

Event tomorrow with JEF Florence

19.5. Enlargement (EU Enlargement new campaign) - [APPENDIX 7](#)

Presenter: Konstantine

Proposal: Agree on the format of the campaign and give Kote green light to start working on it and coordinate communication with sections. Ahead of the enlargement day, we could organize a major campaign event. I would love your approval to involve relevant sections in the planning and implementation process of the campaign. We will start the process in May.

- XX: Amazing to have a new campaign - great theme and like the idea. There is one question: what will be the actual campaign thing. In the future we will utilize the enlargement day as the kick-start of the campaigning days.
- XX: The idea is to soft-launch by drafting with other sections relevant statements (27th May) and to manage in the future to projectify the campaign.

- XX: I like the idea, and we can integrate more things to the campaign (e.g. Iceland's referendum). This is just a constructive comment, it's a great campaign.
- XX: Like the name, but regarding the slogan we might send mixed signals. So we need to be very careful about the key slogan.
- XX: Like the timeline and content (we need to consider the referendum). It's important to find old resources on the issue. We need to make sure that the campaign will be delivered no matter the circumstances (either if it's projectified or not).
- XX: Like the idea, because we lack a campaign for enlargement.
 - Federalist update is what we have to offer
- XX: Thank you for the comments. They are very constructive. I can continue coordinating this to get more feedback and insights and then start communication with non-EU sections. Then we can start to gradually soft-launch the campaign.
- XX: When we have a the proposal formulated we can start approaching sections.

19.6. Treaty Reform

19.7. Fighting nationalism

19.8. Any other advocacy points

- EU Youth Strategy reform
- TF GF (Global Federalism) meeting (this week - 10 people) and conclusions (working in small WGs to organize outreach to international federalist organizations through a whatsapp community). Engage members and allow them to do the engagement.
- Art. 109 just responded - asked for more documents and suggested a meeting

20. Other updates

- Working group on the EUkraine campaign (XX)
- Meeting with Youth EPP (EU defence union) and steps ahead (XX)

CLOSING OF THE MEETING

21. Any other business

- XX: Noticed that when reading previous minutes makes her cautious in a negative way (mainly constraint). We need to find a way that we keep it honest and detailed
- XX: We do want to have the discussions but not the names. This is what was decided.
- XX: Regarding the new logo, what's the legal procedure? I gathered all the info for the logo from Fermin.
- XX: Voted it will be introduced at the beginning of the FC as a n internal resolution
- XX: I can take care of it.

22. Closing of the meeting