

Young European Federalists

Executive Board Meeting DRAFT AGENDA

TIME 11.5.2026 at 7.30pm CET
PLACE Online: meet.google.com/ewi-hdsy-raa

INVITEES **Executive Board Members**

Moritz Hergl, President
Debora Striani, Vice President
Nea-Maria Törmänen, Vice President
Anna van de Moosdijk, Treasurer
Achilles Tsirgis, Board Member
Dvir Ezra, Board Member
Sara Rocchetto, Board Member
Christos Papagiannis, Secretary General

Observers

Francesca Marini, Federal Committee Presidium

Excused

Konstantine Gagnidze, Board Member

MEETING PROCEDURAL MATTERS

1. Opening of the meeting and confirmation of quorum

Proposal: The President opens the meeting and confirms that it is quorate.

2. Approval of the agenda

Proposal: The agenda is approved.

Decision: Approved

3. Minutes of the previous meeting – APPENDIX 1

Proposal: The minutes of the previous meeting are approved.

Decision: Approved

DECISION ITEMS

4. Ratification of the Online Decision on the Hungary's Elections Statement

Presenter: Moritz

Proposal: Approve [the statement "Hungary's election reveals how Orbán turns national power against Europe"](#) as per the online vote that took place on 9.4.2026 resulting in 7 in favour.

Decision: Approved

5. Ratification of the Online Decision on the Vesna Statement

Presenter: Moritz

Proposal: Approve [the statement "The Russian regime hunts its own youth: We demand the immediate release of the Vesna case defendants"](#) as per the online vote that took place 10.4.2026 resulting 4 in favour, 2 against and 2 abstaining.

Decision: Approved

6. Vote on the agenda for the Online-Congress on 18 June - [APPENDIX 2](#)

Presenter: Moritz

- Skip the video format of the Online-Congress
- Hold a discussion meeting on the logo with sections on 01.06.2026
- Publish a call for the working group
- Addition of year 2026 projection Budget for year 2026 (voted in FC Belgrade)
 - XX: In the case of the Congress we are missing 10 sections payments and this needs to be tackled, or they might lose their voting rights.
 - XX: We need to include in the invitation that we need their presence for all the duration of the meeting. About the unofficial meeting, do we need to decide a date? Or this can be discussed and checked later?
 - XX: XX needs to be there and the proposed date above is the earliest that such a meeting can happen. If we approve those decisions there is already a draft for the email that the sections will receive.
 - XX: We cannot be lenient regarding the sections that haven't paid yet. Ten sections is too much. There are repercussions if they vote without paying first. Maybe a short of penalty (for those who do not pay on time) or reward (for those on time) should be introduced.

- XX: The presidium's view is that we still need co-optation for a member to support the Capacity Building TF. So, according to the FC an online FC might be needed as well.
- XX: If you checked who paid the fee for the FC, but this is also important. Understanding who are the ones who are paying or not. Many people never paid, regardless of staying, eating and sleeping in places booked with JEF money. We need to become more strict both in physical and online events.
- XX: I agree with more strict rules, but I don't think we should introduce a penalty. Nevertheless, we have a toolbox already to use according to the statutes. When it comes to the online congress we need to see if removing voting rights affects the quorum needed for the online congress.
- XX: I had the same issue in the past during my presence at the JEF Netherlands and I think it worked. We can follow a similar approach in a more pedagogical way.
- XX: Sections that do not pay on time are small sections (less than 10% of the network) and sections can have a lot of individual specific situations. Before taking the voting right I would ask for a discussion dedicated to each section.
- XX: We could say that if someone hasn't paid their fees two days before the Congress we can take action.
- XX: We have the time and item to discuss today what Dvir suggests during the sections' presentation.
- XX: Ready to vote in favor for every point but not for taking the right of vote away. People don't care and they will happily abstain from creating issues with the quorum. There is a possibility we end up without quorum. We could consider FC sanctions.
- XX: A 2-days before with the bank delays is a bit last-moment. Probably 4-5 days is better.
- XX: Agree with XX for practical reasons but also for relationship reasons.
- XX: If some sections did not pay and the decision is they lose voting rights, the quorum doesn't fall analogically with the number of sections that have voting rights? If the statutes say that quorum is calculated based on voting rights then quorum it's a non-issue.

Proposal: Approve the invasion of attached agenda

Decision: Approved

Proposal: Regarding the voting rights XX will check with XX and XX what are the possible avenues.

XX: I would like to have the opinion of the arbitration board on this.

Updated Proposal: Regarding the voting rights XX will check with XX and XX and the arbitration board.

Nea: Need to check the deadline for counting the member-organizations

7. Approving JEF Europe's participation in the event marking the 40th anniversary of Altiero Spinelli's passing in Rome (21–22 May 2026)

Presenter: Debora

Proposal: Approve JEF Europe's participation in the event (panel + speech about Spinelli) and authorise the use of the JEF Europe logo among supporting organisations and Debora to represent JEF Europe during the event.

Decision: Approved

8. Joining Potential Applications with Israeli and Palestinian Federalists – EU NDC and NED (no CN yet)

Presenter: Dvir

Proposal: Approve the participation in both applications, a CN for the NED will be shared with the EB prior to the submission.

- XX: There are two applications we are currently working on. The second application is about The European Endowment for Democracy (EED). It's a 2-stages application so we just need a concept note.
- XX: Sounds good, but I didn't manage to check the link, but does this follow our informal rules regarding the application.
- XX: We might need to discuss this before initiating an application in the future.
- XX: We can keep a similar line with the event's internal rules.
- XX: According to the guidelines it's considered acceptable to send the concept note in the slack and people reject or approve.
- XX: When the final proposal is approved, please send it to the slack channel.

Decision: Approved –the concept notes will uploaded in slack whenever ready.

9. Joining EUMANS Campaign – JUSTICE IS UNDER ATTACK. LET’S DEFEND THE INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT – TOGETHER

Presenter: Dvir

Proposal: Approve the participation in the campaign and the inclusion of JEF Europe’s logo in campaign materials, task Dvir to co-draft a joint statement with EUMANS on the topic.

- XX: We should have the opportunity to check it in slack and review this with a clear mind.
- XX: Sure.
- XX: There is an overlap with JEF and them.
- XX: I know them very well, but the only question is: what participation in the campaign means? Are there any other organizations involved?
- XX: The petition is already signed by 4.000 people and there will be more organizations included. Regarding actions together a statement will be released. Something joint with an organization specialising in the issue is very helpful.

Decision: Approved

10. Approve Joint Launching of FedTalk South American Version – CN

Presenter: Dvir

Proposal: Approve the launching of the program, task Dvir (in English) and Debora (in Spanish) to represent JEF Europe’s EB in the sessions.

- XX: Proposed Debora’s participation
- XX: Positive, but I can commit depending on the level of Spanish needed.
- XX: Check that we don’t step into World Federalist Movement territories.
- XX: We’ll have a meeting tomorrow and we will update them.
- XX: Very nice program and for a second edition Luca Alfieri might be a good choice.
- XX: Please bring us in contact
- XX: How is it organized?
- XX: It’s me and Federico presenting and then we delegate to the people who are more invested.

Decision: Approved

11. Approve the commencement of an inquiry into the development and creation of a JEF Europe Think Tank – Draft Statute

Presenter: Achilles

Proposal: Hear brief 5 minute presentation, approve the draft plan, and designate Achilles to present a complete timeline in the next EB meeting

- XX: It has been very difficult for JEF to participate in issues that are linked to economic governance. A think tank would be a solution.
 - XX: Happy to see an idea discussed for long to be materialized conceptually.
 - XX: We really need something like this, but we need to understand how we don't step on the toes of other activities/initiatives we already run (like TNF). We need to find a way that this increases active people in the movement and doesn't cannibalise them.
 - XX: We discussed a lot of issues that are broader than the economic portfolio. How this could benefit different areas.
 - XX: In many cases we need an organization that can also tries to find funding with deliverables different from the ones we already have (e.g. events etc.)
 - XX: We need to find a way that this won't create conflicts (i.e. Spinelli Institute). We need someone from the board of JEF to represent. This is a way to be in touch with older members.
 - XX: We need to be faster because if this is proposed during the Athens FC (middle of mandate) it will be difficult to get materialized before the end of the mandate.
 - XX: Really like the idea, but we have some timing constraints. Don't think we are ready to propose it to the online congress. But I agree with Dvir that we shouldn't wait until FC Athens. The suggestion is to make an executive decision as an EB. Or we might need to have an extraordinary FC during summer.
 - XX: We'll be in a difficult situation either way. We don't need to have everything ready, but it's feasible to organize some core elements.
 - XX: The Director position is separate from the EB representative. This needs to have the legitimacy of the whole JEF community and we need to be able to show that this will be an analytical backbone not a replacement.
 - XX: Thank you for the idea. The only thing I'm thinking about is the positive issue of alumni, but at the same time I'm afraid of creating something disconnected from JEF.

- XX: Putting it now to the Online Congress is too late. We can have an executive decision that legitimizes a plan that leaves Achilles the room to prepare everything. In order to have legitimacy we need to XX this during the Athens FC.
- XX: We need to involve people, showing also that this won't create more responsibilities.
- XX: We could use this as a place to discuss resolutions lapsing.

- XX: need for predefined deliverables, something that will happen independently of other resources; something like a series of events, flagship publications that is there every year. This can be connected with political work of JEF, that's how you safeguard that the Think Tank's work is aligned with political priorities. It should stay close to the EB, political foundations of political parties are usually well connected, so it can even be someone that was active in the past and now less; this can be part of the statute: you can safeguard that it doesn't have its own orbit. Practical issues: costs; making this a formal structure would cost.

Proposal: Approve the draft plan as presented in the presentation and designate Achilles to present a concrete timeline to the next EB meeting.

Decision: Approved.

UPDATES

12. Secretary update

- SGA financial reporting is progressing by Simone
 - Big amount and many travels
 - Need to always follow the unit cost, if the guidelines for travel expenses were not followed concretely, there might be repercussions but unclear at this point
 - Many open transactions in UKI
- Will visit the bank to see how we can proceed regarding cards etc.
 - Anna would like to join for a follow-up
- Meeting with Joosep from JEF Estonia on the management of the website
 - Offer for a possible redesign of the website
- Simone was sick last week
- Discussion on pre-payments
 - Nea can use the template that Moritz will send her

- Moritz and Christos will follow up with the conditions on pre-payments and the conditions of use

13. Organisational update

- Update about the process on the pool of trainers; We need to finalize this.
 - Nea: Is there a proposal coming from Jan and the EB will decide?
 - XX: There is no progress regarding this (people haven't received a reply for 5 months). The resolution doesn't specify the selection process (Jan doesn't know how to proceed). Jan asked for some directions on how to proceed and I shared with him some ideas.
 - XX: I can give you an elaborated answer, because I was into the process. In the end we made a shortlist. According to Christelle this is up to the Secretary General. And the question is how we handle it.
 - XX: It's super important that we'll send an email tomorrow for the candidates pointing out that we are aware we haven't got back and we'll revisit in X amount of time. It's impossible for Jan to prioritize. It's important EB has a say in that. Someone should represent the EB also during the process. We need to revisit the
 - XX: Just for the record I wasn't aware of the fact that the Secretary General is involved and wasn't involved. I cannot find anything relevant regarding this delegation in my emails or slack.
 - XX: Christos and Jan Gert you can proceed the two of you,.
 - XX: We received some concerns regarding the behavior of some trainers. So I think the EB should have a say. Proposes XX to have a look.
 - XX: It would be problematic for the EB having no say on who will be hired.
 - XX, Christos and Jan will be involved and Moritz will connect the decision with the rest of EB.
- Jan suggested looking into three [open calls](#): Who can take the lead for the three things?
 - [Raising awareness of and building capacity for the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights](#)

- [Promoting an enabling civic space](#)
- [EYE Village](#) coordination of outdoor activities
 - XX: Understood from Jan that we cannot apply for all of them. You cannot apply as lead applicant for both (from the 1st two).
 - XX: It's possible as a partner.
 - XX: Would be very interesting for the fundamental rights call.
 - XX: I am in charge of the application of EYE in Italy (with XX help). So I could support this application.
 - XX: Coordinate with Jan and Teresa and we can then distribute the workload.
 - XX: Will be in Brussels and I can work on this. In the past we shared a call to gather ideas for the EYE events.
 - XX: Already spoken with Jan about fundamental rights but we can distribute if needed.
- Discussion on meeting time guidelines;
 - XX: It becomes an issue if we don't have a quorum when a meeting begins. We need to be able to raise issues earlier and not at the last moment. It wasn't nice that me, XX and XX logged in at 19:30. If we cannot commit we should know earlier.
 - XX: I voted in favor of the meeting today considering that it would start at 20:00. But it's also important to stick to our standard programme because this creates complexities.
 - XX: When we have projects it becomes very difficult to keep the normal dates. We need to be a bit more flexible if something happens last minute. If something happens for concrete needs of the EB we need to be more flexible.
 - XX: We need to be more mindful in the future and if this is something that happens in the future then we should start having the meetings at 19:00. We need to stick to the original schedule indeed.

- XX: 4/8 weren't able to be there so it wouldn't make sense to begin without everyone.
- XX: This is an issue that is worth discussing. If not now at some point is important.
- XX: There is a discrepancy and 19:30 is the middle ground.
- Social Media communication practices with UEF
 - XX: The action committee is outside of UEF and they publish op-eds etc. Then they made a map that showed some countries inside the EU and some outside the EU. Many people were unhappy at the UEF's EB meeting. We could apologize, but this might be counterproductive.
 - XX: If there are sections who are annoyed we should apologize.
 - XX: Don't have any problem with the article per se and the process. But I think the big problem is within the map and how it was communicated. And it's not the first time UEF publishes something with our logo and without our approval. We should explain to sections that are annoyed.
 - XX: Apologies for any inconvenience caused. I would frame it as UEF using our logo. In the future I would try to communicate with UEF.
 - XX: We need to apologize but not in a formal way. Didn't like the fact that screenshots that are circulated promote a misconception about us.
 - XX: We could communicate better what happens in the Action Committee with the EB.
 - XX: On the logo use it's a point. Not because you join a committee they can use it without discussion. We should just explain the situation.

14. Update from YFJ GA

Presenter: Debora

- It went well even though we didn't manage to get elected. It was a good opportunity to establish connections with all the PPYOs. Cloe from JEF Malta elected as VP.
- An email from an organization part of LYMEC accused one of the VP candidates and the person stepped down. A VP will be voted at an extraordinary meeting.

15. Updated from JMH School on memories

Presenter: Debora

Moves to the project meeting

16. Advocacy update

16.1. Democracy under Pressure

- PPYOs collaboration
- Report drafting
- Assign to write an article to people involved about DuP
- Use disinfo team to write the DuP report
- Organize JEF meetings with Youth Parties to make our collab stronger

16.2. Don'tTouchMySchengen

- Border hike with JEF Bavaria in the planning for 11-13 September (JEF Switzerland is interested)
- Info post quite successful (this could be something to consider for other advocacy points)
- XX: It would be nice each now and then to publish something from each portfolio. So we can diversify our content.
- XX: Check on slack about your DuP video (but not this Wednesday).

16.3. MFF advocacy

- Own resources campaign pitching (one year after the publication of proposals and now the pressure is becoming more important). Info-kit for more vulnerable Member-States. Organize online events regarding MFF.
- Event with Sabrina Repp (?) - XX: there are many federalist demands and she would be happy to organize a webinar with JEF.

16.4. Federalist Peace Forum

- Joint strategy day in Jerusalem
- Event in Gottingen (25 people came)
- First FedTalk Global Federalist Academy Session (33 people)

16.5. Enlargement

- Armenia: Statement drafted by Konstantine
 - This will be transformed to an open call (there are a few people who want to start a JEF Armenia section).
- Moritz got selected for the youth dialogue with Marta Kos (3-5/06)

16.6. Treaty Reform

- End the [Veto Project](#)
 - 1st contact Political Foundations
 - 2nd Political Parties
 - 3rd Universities & connect with the FC in Athens.
- Federalism event by JEF Brussels; The event was supposed to be held last week and XX/XX weren't available. Then they moved this and considered that they still weren't available. The communication was a bit messy.

16.7. Fighting nationalism

- Article in La Croix on Ave Europa
 - Problematic framing of French. Nevertheless it's not easily accessible.

16.8. Any other advocacy points

- Reaching out to young MEPs to ask them to become JEF members or bring them in touch with the national sections.

17. Section update

- Going through all the sections and how we are doing:
 - Albania
 - Armenia
 - Austria
 - Azerbaijan
 - Belarus
 - Belgium
 - Bosnia and Herzegovina
 - Bulgaria

- Croatia
- Cyprus
- Czech Republic
- Denmark
- Estonia
- Finland
- France
- Georgia
- Germany
- Greece
- Hungary
- Iceland
- Ireland
- Italy
- Kosovo
- Latvia
- Lithuania
- Luxembourg
- Malta
- Mediterranean
- Moldova
- Montenegro
- Netherlands
- Nordics & Baltics
- North Macedonia
- Norway
- Poland
- Portugal
- Romania
- Russia
- Serbia
- Slovakia
- Slovenia
- Spain
- Sweden
- Switzerland
- Turkiye
- Ukraine
- United Kingdom
- Ukraine

→ This will be discussed in detail in the next EB meeting

18. Treasurer update

- The meeting for info regarding the SGA will happen on Wednesday. Then Christos can proceed with analytical updates regarding the deliverables etc.

19. Other updates

-

CLOSING OF THE MEETING

20. Any other business

- XX: Some comments in the meme group made some people feel uncomfortable. Discussed with Valentin to address this.
- XX: Already a conversation going on in the moderators group. Tomorrow morning a discussion will happen
- XX: It's very important to acknowledge the issue. The problem is not where the discussion happened. The problem is that the comment is very violent. It's important to exactly describe the issue.
- XX: A better reaction could be in place

21. Closing of the meeting