

Young European Federalists

Executive Board Meeting DRAFT AGENDA

TIME 15.07.2026
PLACE Online: (meet.google.com/ewi-hdsy-raq)

INVITEES **Executive Board Members**

Moritz Hergl, President
Debora Striani, Vice President
Nea-Maria Törmänen, Vice President
Anna van de Moosdijk, Treasurer
Achilles Tsirgis, Board Member
Dvir Ezra, Board Member
Konstantine Gagnidze, Board Member
Sara Rocchetto, Board Member
Christos Papagiannis, Secretary General

Observers

N/A

Excused

Debora Stiani

MEETING PROCEDURAL MATTERS

1. Opening of the meeting and confirmation of quorum

Proposal: The President opens the meeting and confirms that it is quorate.

2. Approval of the agenda

Proposal: The agenda is approved.

3. Minutes of the previous meetings - [APPENDIX](#)

Background: The minutes of the previous meetings are available here

- EB meeting of 01.07.2026

Proposal: Vote on slack

Decision: Vote on slack

1. Approve the meeting notes of 01.07.2026.

Decision:

4. Secretary update (10 min)

Presenter: Christos

- Annual accounts submitted
- SGA Reporting submitted
 - Found a way with the coordinator from the COM
- New work insurance set up for the secretariat
- Organizing our folders
- Organization from Spain asked for collab (Horizon)
- Christos will sort documents left in the office next week
- EUPF application (FPF) is a priority
- Moritz organized a meeting/working group with Jan and Christos to start working on funding.
- Staff handovers need to happen over the summer

5. Treasurer update (10 min)

Presenter: Anna

- We need to check who has an uber + account which is connected to our card.
- Meeting with Simone and Christos about organizing better our invoices
- Simone's solution might cost us regarding streamlining the invoices.
- There are still membership fees that are not paid yet.
- We received the grant from the EYF and Jean Monnet
- Issue with the ING account: Judit had asked for blocking this account, but this never happened (tricky case, bank is not answering)
 - Similar issue with JEF Belgium (account might be held with the Finance Ministry of Belgium)
- New cards from BNP: waiting for issuing the residence document from Moritz
- Moritz: Following the alumni event we managed to raise our monthly income from 80 EUR to 280 EUR per month. In the upcoming days I will probably reach out to Spinelli Group MEPs.
 - Nea: Regarding Greek MEPs we should wait.
 - Anna: How did we handle the fact that the platform calls this membership?
 - Moritz: We have an introductory message to everyone subscribing to explain that this is not a membership for JEF.

6. Communications Corner (10 min)

Presenter: Sara

- If we expect to gain more followers through the synergy with Sieper we should prepare an introductory post explaining who we are.
 - XX: It would be nice to have an introductory post
 - XX: We have around 10-12 posts (we should be careful with posting on Sunday).
 - XX: I would like to suggest using some photos from events during the Spring.
 - XX: We could ask people to comment where they are so we link them with the corresponding JEF sections.
 - XX: We could introduce gamification to this process. I will draft an idea.
 - XX: Is it possible to publish the own resources statement tomorrow on the MFF publication anniversary?
 - Sara: Yes we will do it tomorrow.
- Sara: We need to prepare templates for the future.
 - XX: How can we organize handover/onboarding files update?
 - XX: I am asking for material, but I would say for the archive XX should be the person to do so and I will be there to help.
 - XX: Me, XX and XX will do this process.
 - XX: We should prepare a statement for International Justice Day (or World Day for International Justice) and there is a possible collab with an organization.
 - XX: Newsletter was sent out. Also XX how do we proceed with the redesign??
 - XX: I'm waiting for the SGA which shouldn't take a lot of time and then we can start working during August.
 - XX: We should consider opening a linkedin newsletter.
 - XX: We can move the newsletter on a weekly or 2-weeks basis. I see the value of the mailing list but we also need to consider the existing capacity.
 - XX: Linkedin would be the platform and would probably save us time to keep the same content. We need to have a place to automatically distribute the posts -and not manually.
 - XX: But is there an added value if we post the exact same thing everywhere? So we should keep in mind the need to change the content a bit according to the platform.

DECISION ITEMS

7. Reported Exclusion of FEMYSO from the European Parliament (15 min)

Presenter: Moritz

Background: A couple of days ago, far-right MEP Marion Maréchal announced on social media that the European Parliament's Bureau decided this Tuesday to exclude FEMYSO from all European Parliament activities, including the EYE. She presented it as a victory of a campaign she initiated, and described our organisation with defamatory labels drawn from foreign disinformation campaigns that have been publicly examined and debunked. We have been asked to sign an open letter urging the EP to be transparent about this – but the deadline has passed. There have been concerns raised over the radicality of FEMYSO.

- XX: We are struggling to get a quorum, but in some cases it's not justified enough. I would like us to be more people when we are deciding. Now regarding the topic: I don't feel we need to join because it's unclear if there is a decision –and therefore we need to know the arguments when a decision is taken. Generally I'm not in favor of religious organizations in politics and this applies to everyone. There are things we could do together, but I'm not very familiar with mixing religion and politics on such a level.
- XX: I would be in favor of signing this letter, because in the past we have supported FEMYSO when they faced islamophobia. We need to be aware of the islamophobia trend in Europe –and this is linked to nationalism and the rise of the far right.
- XX: I would have been in favor if we had time. It's not only about which organization we are talking about but also about the process. It's not ok for an MEP announcing we are kicking out a civil society organization. So we should consider this aspect as well.
- XX: This came on Friday and I asked for a meeting, but I informed them that we have to decide in the upcoming EB meeting. If the EP makes an announcement then we should consider our stance. The majority is leaning towards signing it. If someone is worried about this please flag your concerns. Whoever wants to join the meeting with them is open.

Proposal: Task Moritz, Anna and Dvir to hold a meeting with them to understand their positions.

Decision: Accepted

8. **Statement on Own resources**

Presenter: Anna

Background: The EU Budget negotiations are at a dead end, and the Irish presidency has given itself until September to unlock negotiations and find a solution. JEF Europe has a unique opportunity to push behind the French proposal to raise new own resources and hope this becomes part of the Irish Presidency negotiation box in September.

Proposal: Approve the statement and publish it on 16 July – symbolic because the MFF proposals were published exactly 1 year ago by the Commission on that date.

- XX: This needs to be published tomorrow?
- XX: yes
- XX: Are we approving a campaign or a statement?
- XX: We approved the campaign a few weeks ago and now we approve the statement.
- XX: I fully support all the ideas in the statement. I think we should take care some AI phrases that repeat and we need to curate. I use it all the time but it shouldn't be so trackable.
- XX: Could you indicate the parts so we clean them?
- XX: I'm in favor of passing it and we can vote on the substance
-granting the ability for Anna and Nea to make the proofreading/curation.

Decision: Approved (Anna and Nea will proceed in some minor proofreading/curation that doesn't affect the substance)

9. **Decision on summer break (10 min)**

Presenter: Moritz

Background: Normally no EB meetings in August, what do we do with July 29th?

- XX: I don't think that this needs to happen –maybe it's a cultural gap. Cancelling all three meetings is the worst case scenario. If there is a popular need for a break maybe we should cancel one, but not all three.
- XX: I feel I need a break. And many others feel that way. There is a cultural difference. In JEF Finland we had breaks (not all at the same time). Cancelling one meeting would be good, but for me
-considering I will go to Iceland- I need this time to prepare.

- XX: I'm in favor of a break –considering the work we put into JEF. So I'm in favor of cancelling the EB meetings of August. I will have to prepare as well JEF related deliverables (Ventotene, Finland etc.) so we could agree on having the option of ad hoc meetings.
- XX: I'm realizing that a lot of things are going to happen in September so a meeting in the 26 of August might be helpful. Also, I have some family reasons that make 29th of July difficult for me. And we also have the presidency meetings.
- XX: I'm ok with not having the EB meetings if we keep presidency and project updates because we have to prepare several applications. And we could keep a meeting before August.
- XX: I don;t like either the option of doing things things without informing the others. Maybe we could encourage people to participate in the presidency/project update meetings. I think we should keep the 29th of July meeting and XX couldn't participate.
- XX: Yes, XX don't feel obliged to come to this meeting. We could cancel the first August meeting and keep the others.
- XX: Thank you all for your opinions. Because the secretariat and I are working during August I'm happy to keep the presidency meetings. VPs and Treasurer you won't be obliged to come. I suggest we cancel the 2 meetings in August and if there is something urgent we can vote in slack. And if we have a major development we could hold an ad hoc meeting.
- XX: Shouldn't we keep the meeting in late August?
- Moritz: We can have a meeting in the context of presidency meetings.
- XX: Most of those things we know that are coming are mainly project-related, so they would stay in the presidency/project meeting.
- XX: It would be nice to share the days you will be unavailable.

Proposal: No official EB meetings in August (2 meetings) and we keep the presidency/project update meeting.

Decision: Approved

10. Physical EB meeting from Saturday 26.09 to Monday 28.09

Presenter: Moritz

Background: UEF EB will hold their EB meeting on Monday 28th in Brussels (dinner might be included).

- XX: Monday should be taken fully out of work?

- XX: It will be half a day -a slot of getting to know each other.
- XX: But how are we going to fund it? I'm speaking about flights and additional accommodation.
- XX: When it comes to accommodation we can take care of 5 people.
- XX: Because we have to clarify some details we'll decide later on, but you need to block those dates in your agendas.
- XX: We won't be able to use funds from the campaign. We're going to have 300 eur from Young Folks.
- XX: For me the most important thing is to find money for flights. We could use a bit of the donations.
- XX: Maastricht/Netherlands was a place where we can do events.
- XX: The grant is not for international travel but for local activities.
- XX: I think we shouldn't vote for this item. We can put it in our calendar without this being a decision-making item.
- XX: I propose we vote that EB members not located in Brussels will send travel proposals to Anna and then based on the expenses we'll have a review and will vote on 29th of July.

XX: I would propose to establish a WG to calculate the budget for such an event. We can agree that at the next meeting we will have a proposal.

Proposal: Anna, Nea and Konstantine will gather the needs and calculate the possible cost and income for the in person EB meeting and submit their proposal in the next online EB meeting.

Decision: Approved

11. Civil society Europe State of the Union working groups

Presenter: Debora

Background: Discussion in the last EB meeting

- XX: Deborah isn't here so let's skip this.
- XX: What's the deadline, should we decide faster?
- XX: I don't know: we can decide on slack -we can ask Judit.
- XX: I understand the wish to have one person per working group, so I would prefer to keep the social policy WG and give the environmental to someone else.

Proposal: Moritz will follow up on this

12. Approval of JEF Europe involvement in FPF Strasbourg

Presenter: Dvir

Background: The application that the groups have done to the municipality will probably move forward.

- XX: What about the participants?

- XX: 7 participants from each member of the consortium.
- XX: It's a project of JEF Europe so we should keep our logo.
- XX: We will arrange it.
- XX: Is there anyone not involved to FPF and wants to participate?
- XX: The one in Thessaloniki?
- XX: No, in Strasbourg. Nothing is granted yet.
- XX: Who will approve it?
- XX: We are waiting for the formal approval of the city of Strasbourg.

Proposal: Approve the formal involvement of JEF Europe as a partner in the FPF project in Strasbourg (23-28 November), if approved.

Decision: Approved

13. Statement on the chat control

Presenter: Moritz

The sections are preparing statements and if it's interesting we can decide to join them. I will put it on slack.

Proposal: Not voting today

14. Proposal for the DuP template for the sections report

Presenter: Debora (excused)

Background: Plan to publish a DuP report

- XX: For the 20th anniversary of DuP we'll ask sections about gender equality in their country, voting from the age of 16, id their free movement etc.. Let's wait for the document before voting.

Proposal: Postponed

15. Joining ECAS

Presenter: Christos

Background: In the past few days, we explored possible cooperation with ECAS in relation to their open call for a partner to develop a crowdsourcing platform. ECAS works on citizens' rights, civic participation, digital democracy and democratic engagement. ECAS also has several prominent members from the Brussels civil society and EU policy ecosystem, including EUObserver, the Trans European Policy Studies Association (TEPSA), the European Policy Centre, Caritas Europe, and Transparency International Liaison Office to the EU. In 2026, ECAS is also regranting EUR 173,000 to its members, with grants of up to EUR 14,000 per project and an expected 12 to 13 projects funded. The funded activities

include awareness raising, civic dialogues, monitoring, advocacy, training and capacity-building.

ECAS membership is free of charge and could offer JEF Europe access to a wider Brussels-based civil society network, participation in ECAS activities, and funding/regranting opportunities.

- XX: Is my former employer and in the past JEF and ECAS have worked together and their SG has developed some difficult positions towards European Federalism -this could be an issue. Nevertheless, federalism is well represented there through Paola and former UEF employees and JEF related people. So we should be aware of the fact that we don;t take a very reformist approach to the EU. And also there are not very good when it comes to internal democracy.
- XX: I don't think this should refrain us from applying -if they don;t approve they don't approve. There are mainly things that can come with the membership. And because we don;t need to get involved internally if we don't want to.

Proposal: Assign Christos the task of applying for JEF Europe to become a member of ECAS.

Decision: Approved (send the application in slack to get feedback)

END OF DECISION ITEMS

BEGINNING OF DISCUSSION ITEMS

16. Organisational update

- Updates from the WG Statutory reform (Dvir)
 - XX will be chairing and this is good. We will gather together every two weeks. Elsa will check the legal situation.
 - XX: We need an indicative timeline
 - XX: I'm in charge of that and we will decide in the next meeting.
 - XX: Who is going to provide feedback and participate?
 - XX: It should be open to everyone.
 - XX: We could have a more structured participation other than just a survey
 - XX: It will be an open one that allows people to attach files.
- Update on FC Athens preparations

- XX: There is lack of capacity front he local section and now me, Jan , Moritz and Christos (JEF Europe) are working on funding. Also most of the duties will shift to JEF Europe.
- Efforts with the socialist foundations (Moritz and Christos)
 - On the topic to overcome the veto (side programm)
 - Initial positive answer from FEPS (but due to strict rules they cannot fund Athens)
 - Local partners "Eteron" are open to funding
 - Right now: no actual support
- Practices of applying for grants
 - General discussion on what we apply for and what not, staff resources. We need to start applying more strategically.
 - XX: We are considering applying for many things and small ones. We should decide on a minimum amount that makes sense. But we need to be more considerate when we use for instance staff time for things that don't fund staff costs.
 - XX: Is this connected to a specific case?
 - XX: The EYF grants are very low with barely any staff costs. It would make sense that they are run by volunteers.
 - XX: We need to be flexible in using some funding in a way to cover some costs for the secretariat.
 - XX: The one for Ukraine is 20K is bigger and the other one can be an important support for DuP and FPF without secretariat involvement.
 - XX: Something being difficult shouldn't stop us from taking responsibilities but we should always consider our capacity to implement and report which can be very difficult.
 - XX: If we know we can finalize the project it's not a problem but if we aren't sure for our ability to report correctly etc. then it might become an issue. For me anything less than 20K without staff costs doesn't make any sense.
 - XX: It depends on the circumstances. EB members should focus on their political goals and if there is no budget from the operative budget available, there should be other options available.

- XX: The application landscape is difficult and this is something we should keep in mind.
- Updated table [here](#)
- Building up new sections - where do we stand?
 - Armenia
 - XX: Next week a meeting with a potential leader.
 - Iceland
 - Meeting the VP in person and they will have a dedicated conversation about the referendum and what they are willing to do.
 - Bosnia & Herzegovina
 - XX: I took the liberty to move ahead because I met a politician that has a pro-EU party in Bosnia. We found a couple of people that are thinking of joining. So there is a prospect to move beyond what was happening in the past.
 - Lithuania
 - XX: We had 2 people that then disappeared. I went to Kaunas to help them. I will mention this opportunity to a group of 25 Lithuanians we are working together.
 - Slovakia
 - XX: There is a group of people XX is cooperating with them.

17. Discussion on European alternatives for social media (such as Monnett) and internal tools (messenger etc)

- Practice what you preach
 - Social media: Monnett, BlueSky etc
 - Secure messengers
 - Set up a survey for local sections on what tools they use for comms etc... (?)
 - Moritz: Many members from Austria want us to promote European alternatives. We might don;t have the capacity but we could start to map the alternatives and the tools they are already using.
 - XX: There is such a demand from sections.
 - XX: We don't have a resolution and it's operational. I don't think we have a strong majority. And we shouldn't isolate ourselves from what most people use. We could also open accounts to those kinds of applications.

- XX: Our resolutions already have some references. We have a few individuals in the movement that have this interest and knowledge. My proposal is that I organize an open call. It would be nice to take the concerns seriously and create a platform where we can talk about those things.
- XX: It would be worth exploring the opportunity to open accounts to European platforms and share content there as well -as long as we don't need to tailor the content.
- XX: It becomes kind of problematic when we talk about "by european". It shouldn't be European nationalism. I'm in favor of this, but the rhetoric shouldn't be nationalistic or against globalization/trade/interdependency.
- XX: I don't feel promoting european alternatives and speaking about the need to control the dependency is nationalistic.

18. Advocacy update

18.1. Democracy under Pressure

-

18.2. Don'tTouchMySchengen

- XX: There is a draft petition.

18.3. MFF advocacy

- XX: Ireland presidency tries to find agreement between member states. Our own resources campaign came at the right moment.

18.4. Federalist Peace Forum

-

18.5. Enlargement (EU is loading)

- XX: Info-session with secretariat and now working for applications.

18.6. Treaty Reform

- There is interest regarding Veto. FEPS will provide venue and catering. Spinelli and UEF are following.

18.7. Fighting nationalism

-

18.8. Any other advocacy points

–

19. Section update

–

20. Other updates

–

CLOSING OF THE MEETING

21. Any other business

22. Closing of the meeting